Re: Wheezy/XFCE: remote desktop service difficulties with VNC server

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 03:53:14 PM Reco wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:15:02 +0000
>
> Ron Leach <ronleach@tesco.net> wrote:
> > X could not detect the attached screen because its cable is switched
> > across a KVM which seems to destroy the EDID information; I'd already
> > manually configured a Modeline for 1440x900.  (This works fine on the
> > attached screen even through the KVM.)  The remote desktop appears to
> > be 4x3 shape, and something closer to 800x600, I would guess.
>
> Vnc4server doesn't (and should not) take into account any EDID. The
> entire point of VNC is to be able run even if video card(s) is
> physically absent at the host.
> Try experimenting with '-screen' and '-dpi' VNC options.

To expand, vncserver creates an X11 server session that uses a virtual video
card (in effect). Hence the 'virtual' in 'virtual network computing'.

'vncserver -geometry 1024x300' will create a 1024 wide x 300 high virtual
display available via :1; 'vncviewer :1' will dutifully display it in a
1024x300 window (plus trimmings).

VNC isn't rdesktop. As far as I know, the viewer can only display the virtual
X session.

If you had a local X server configured to use a 2x2 matrix of 1920x1080
displays as one logical display, you could have it run vncviewer to display a
remote 3840x2160 VNC session fullscreen. (In theory, at least.)