Re: Wheezy/XFCE: remote desktop service difficulties with VNC server

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:15:02 +0000
Ron Leach <ronleach@tesco.net> wrote:

> X could not detect the attached screen because its cable is switched
> across a KVM which seems to destroy the EDID information; I'd already
> manually configured a Modeline for 1440x900.  (This works fine on the
> attached screen even through the KVM.)  The remote desktop appears to
> be 4x3 shape, and something closer to 800x600, I would guess.

Vnc4server doesn't (and should not) take into account any EDID. The
entire point of VNC is to be able run even if video card(s) is
physically absent at the host.
Try experimenting with '-screen' and '-dpi' VNC options.

> Though XFCE 'settings' does allow the display resolution to be
> checked/changed using the keyboard and attached screen, on the remote
> desktop XFCE - instead - does not and complains that RandR is version
> 1.1, not v1.2 .

AFAIK changing display resolution is not implemented in vnc4server (and
tightvnc, for that matter, too).

> No such complaint on the physical desktop.  Very odd;
> I wonder if this means that the Xsession being used for the remote is
> not the same as the Xsession being used for the physical user session?

Unlikely. /etc/X11/Xsession should be used by any display manager they
put into Debian.

>   I'll look deeper into logs; it might also explain why applications
> that the user is running do not show up on the remote desktop.

It's like this:

1) You need to be able to run some X app over network - you use
vnc4server or tightvnc. You run it over VNC - any local user won't
notice anything.

2) You need to be able to control X display of a local user - you use
x11vnc, which attaches to a local X display. You run something over VNC
- local user immediately sees that someone's moving windows on their
desktop.

> I've left vnc4server installed.  If I don't get anywhere with logs
> I'll try replacing it with tightvnc.
>
> Reco, much obliged, that was a helpful post.

You're welcome.

Reco