Re: sd card not detected

On 11/11/2013 07:54 PM, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> On 11/02/2013 01:51 PM, Linux-Fan wrote:
>> I have the same problem here -- since the upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy
>> when the HAL was removed, device nodes for CF and SD cards are not
>> automatically created after insertion. Reconnecting the cardreader helps
>> here as well, but I did not want to always reconnect the cardreader and
>> found the following workaround:
>>
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=121459435621262&q=p3
>>
>> This C program allows you to "reset" a specific USB device which will
>> behave similar to reconnecting the cardreader in this case. Ater
>> inserting a SD-card, just use $ ./usbreset /dev/sde (if the card is
>> normally /dev/sde1) to make the device nodes available.
>>
>> If you find a better solution, I would also be interested in hearing of
>> it. Also, the problem does not seem to be specific to a desktop
>> environment or even Kernel version: I am running "Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64"
>> and no desktop environment and get exactly the same behavior.
>>
>> HTH
>> Linux-Fan
>>

> Hi Linux-Fan,
>
> I didn't have much time to investigate the problem further but the
> problem is solved by udisks-daemon, udisks package.
> for some reason It doesn't run on boot in my case,  but running udisks
> --enumerate or something similar triggers the daemon's start and it
> starts to poll the devices.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

thanks for posting this back to the list: It works here as well. Even
better, I believe I might have found the reason for the daemon not being
automatically started. From $ man udisks-daemon:

DESCRIPTION
	udisks-daemon provides the org.freedesktop.UDisks service on
	the system message bus. Users or administrators should never
	need to start this daemon as it will be automatically started
	by dbus-daemon(1) whenever an application calls into the
	org.freedesktop.UDisks service.

Obviously, there needs to be an application asking for the
"org.freedesktop.UDisks service". On my (and likely your system as well)
there is no such application, hence udisks-daemon is not started. I have
now simply added the command you suggested $ udisks --enumerate to my
.fluxbox/startup which should resolve the issue.

Thanks again for sharing the solution
Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.ohost.de/