Re: Update of kde-window-manager wants to remove kde-standard

On Monday 11 November 2013 00:11:57 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 03:04:02PM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think that will get eventually resolved, but I am just curious how I can
> > find the root cause of this upgrade issue.
>
> Hmmm.. root cause seems to be aptitude package dependency resolver.
> This is so typical ...  I like aptitude but I do not like this
> happening.
>
> >  plasma-dataengines-workspace : Depends: libkworkspace4abi2 (= 4:4.11.2-3)
> >  but>
> > 4:4.11.3-1 is to be installed.
> >
> > there is certainly plasma-dataengines-workspace Version: 4:4.11.3-1, which
> > depends on libkworkspace4abi2 (= 4:4.11.3-1)
> >
> > so why is aptitude complaining about this?
>
>             ^^^^^^^^
> There may be some packages which want 4:4.11.2-3 version.
>
> This is the new updated text from my "Debian Refrence":
>
>   The package dependency resolver of the aptitude command tends to
>   suggests mass package removals when packages in unstable is temporary
>   inconsistent. This situation is a bit frightening. Usually, "apt-get
>   dist-upgrade" should resolve this situation. This situation seems to be
>   caused mostly by the version skew among packages depended or recommended
>   by a meta-package such as gnome-core.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt
> _get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal

Hmm....apt-get dist-upgrade gets to the same conclusion:

blackbox:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and
are no longer required:
  libkwineffects1abi5 libkwinglutils1abi2
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kde-full kde-plasma-desktop kde-plasma-netbook kde-standard kde-window-
manager kde-workspace libsmokekdeui4-3 libsmokekfile3 libsmokekhtml3
libsmokekio3
  libsmokeknewstuff2-3 libsmokeknewstuff3-3 libsmokekparts3 libsmokektexteditor3
libsmokekutils3 libsmokeplasma3 plasma-scriptengine-ruby
  plasma-scriptengines ruby-kde4 ruby-plasma
  icedove kdeartwork kscreensaver libavcodec53 libkdecorations4abi2
libsmokekdecore4-3 libsmokenepomuk3 libsmokesolid3
  kde-style-oxygen kde-workspace-bin kde-workspace-data kde-workspace-kgreet-
plugins kdm ksysguard ksysguardd libkephal4abi1 libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4
  libksignalplotter4 libkwineffects1abi5 libkwinglutils1abi2 libkworkspace4abi2
libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libplasmaclock4abi4 libplasmagenericshell4
  libprocesscore4abi1 libprocessui4a libtaskmanager4abi4 libweather-ion6
plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
  plasma-widgets-workspace
25 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 20 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/12.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 19.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch