Re: 3D printer

On 11/04/2013 11:31 AM Beco wrote:
On 4 November 2013 10:24, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
On 11/03/2013 08:57 AM Mirco Piccin wrote:

Hi

I would like to start a topic on 3d printers. Does anyone here have
experience in using such printers with debian/linux?

Our local public library bought a couple of these.  They give classes on
them.  And if you want something printed, you email them the STL file,
they'll print it, and send you an email back when you can pick it up.  I
think they charge about 5 cents/pound... hardly anything.

Unless you really want to play around with building it, it's a much better
way to go than having your own.

Hi Ken,

I was thinking in build one actually. It can be useful, and I have
some students willing to work on it.

The problem is that we know all the history of struggle between linux
and printers (and devices in general). I was wondering if this is the
case with 3D printers.

Its not easy to find devices debian/linux compatible. Tell me about
building your own!

I haven't done it and probably won't. As said, my local library has two of them, the local makersalliance has a couple, and I already have too many other projects I'm working on.

I haven't looked recently, but I'd imagine there's a lot of info on the web about building 3D printers.

Do you know if the model your library has works on linux?

No idea.  I should have thought to ask them when I was there.

From the little I know, all the attached computer would do would be to slice the drawing and send the result to printer. I would imagine that gnu/linux would easily be capable of doing that.

Good luck with your project!

ken

Mirco,

I think I like most the Prusa i3. It looks pretty! And being the third
version, the site states: "he i3 incorporates lessons learned from the
previous two Prusa designs, as well as other popular modern RepRap
designs. "

I wonder how to connect it to computer. Is it USB?

And do you need any special driver? How debian sees it?

Thanks!

Beco.

PS. No, Charles. I'm not a hit man. :) Actually, I don't like guns
that much. If humanity wants to kill each other, go for it. I'll just
enjoy my lonely ride with art, programming, music, poetry, science,
etc., the best I can! Cheers!