Re: 3D printer

Hi

> The problem is that we know all the history of struggle between linux
> and printers (and devices in general). I was wondering if this is the
> case with 3D printers.

it's not the case!

> I think I like most the Prusa i3. It looks pretty! And being the third
> version, the site states: "he i3 incorporates lessons learned from the
> previous two Prusa designs, as well as other popular modern RepRap
> designs. "
>
> I wonder how to connect it to computer. Is it USB?

you connect your pc to the printer using a USB cable.
The electronic on the printer is basically a Arduino Mega (or
derivated or clone):
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560

As you can read:
"The Mega2560 differs from all preceding boards in that it does not
use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the
ATmega16U2 (ATmega8U2 in the revision 1 and revision 2 boards)
programmed as a USB-to-serial converter."

> And do you need any special driver? How debian sees it?

you don't need any drivers others than the standard.
You see Arduino as a /dev/ttyACMx device (with older Arduino version
the device was /dev/ttyUSBx).
It's a serial device.

Anyway:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software (you need the Arduino IDE to update
firmware on your 3d printer, download it, it's opensource)
and
http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/Linux

Regards
Mirco