Re: 3D printer

On 4 November 2013 10:24, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> On 11/03/2013 08:57 AM Mirco Piccin wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>>> I would like to start a topic on 3d printers. Does anyone here have
>>> experience in using such printers with debian/linux?
>

> Our local public library bought a couple of these.  They give classes on
> them.  And if you want something printed, you email them the STL file,
> they'll print it, and send you an email back when you can pick it up.  I
> think they charge about 5 cents/pound... hardly anything.
>
> Unless you really want to play around with building it, it's a much better
> way to go than having your own.

Hi Ken,

I was thinking in build one actually. It can be useful, and I have
some students willing to work on it.

The problem is that we know all the history of struggle between linux
and printers (and devices in general). I was wondering if this is the
case with 3D printers.

Its not easy to find devices debian/linux compatible. Tell me about
building your own!

Do you know if the model your library has works on linux?

Mirco,

I think I like most the Prusa i3. It looks pretty! And being the third
version, the site states: "he i3 incorporates lessons learned from the
previous two Prusa designs, as well as other popular modern RepRap
designs. "

I wonder how to connect it to computer. Is it USB?

And do you need any special driver? How debian sees it?

Thanks!

Beco.

PS. No, Charles. I'm not a hit man. :) Actually, I don't like guns
that much. If humanity wants to kill each other, go for it. I'll just
enjoy my lonely ride with art, programming, music, poetry, science,
etc., the best I can! Cheers!

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by
doing them" (Aristotle)