RE: preseed netinstall vlan network

I apologize I wasn't clearer about the preseed but I am injecting that into the ISO file so I don't need to get that over tftp.  I need the network connectivity for the rest of the install.  I don't have control of the network, I just know that I need to vlan tag a network interface otherwise I won't be able to connect to the default gateway.   In my case the vlan is logical therefore the nic *must* be vlan tagged (using vconfig) otherwise I won't be able to get on the correct network.  Is there a way to do that using a netinstall iso?

From: Bob Proulx [bob@proulx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:08 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: preseed netinstall vlan network

TRAN, JOHN wrote:
> I'm attempting to do a preseeded netinstall using mini.iso.  In
> general, is it possible to do a netinstall if your network is vlan
> tagged?

A VLAN is a Virtual LAN.  A Virtual LAN is a way to group hosts
together onto a common network even though their locations may be
physically separate.  But as far as processes on the hosts know they
are simply on a LAN.

Therefore the answer to your question can only be YES.  Because
installing in a virtual LAN will be identical to installing on a LAN.
And it is certainly possible to preseed netinstall on a LAN.

> I have found a thread in which describes how it hypothetically is
> possible with manual intervention. I would appreciate any further
> information on how this might be possible.

Huh?  Please describe your environment in more detail.  Because I
would be shocked to learn that there might be a problem.  Which is
exactly the opposite of what your statement implies.

All you need to do a netinst is access to the network so that the
debian-installer can download the packages it needs to install on the
fly.  The protocol is specified by the source mirror specified.  That
may most often be http these days but ftp and local files and other
transports are also supported.

All you need to preseed an install is to make the preseed file
available.  There are several methods as described in the official
documentation.

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs01.html.en#preseed-methods

Is there something specific about your network environment that would
prevent either of the above requirements?

Bob