Re: preseed netinstall vlan network

TRAN, JOHN wrote:
> I apologize I wasn't clearer about the preseed but I am injecting
> that into the ISO file so I don't need to get that over tftp.

Good!  That definitely makes that part easier.  And then there are
also no restrictions about what can be preseeded.

> I need the network connectivity for the rest of the install.  I
> don't have control of the network, I just know that I need to vlan
> tag a network interface otherwise I won't be able to connect to the
> default gateway.  In my case the vlan is logical therefore the nic
> *must* be vlan tagged (using vconfig) otherwise I won't be able to
> get on the correct network.  Is there a way to do that using a
> netinstall iso?

The debian-installer does not have native support for configuring a
local VLAN interface in the installer.  (The debian-installer only
recently acquired the ability to use encrypted wifi.)  It basically
just DHCP's an address and then uses it.

But if you are using a preseed then you should be able to include the
preseed commands stuffed into either "late_command" or "early_command"
or possibly another place to reconfigure the interface for a
particular vlan.  The *_command routines allow you to do whatever you
need to do there.

Now it is time for editorial comments.  :-) This doesn't seem to be a
reasonable use of vlans to me.  I think someone has pushed a feature
from the routing level down too low in the stack to the client user
side of things.

I don't know the overall target that you are trying to accomplish but
if I were doing this I would create a router machine with two network
interfaces.  I would set up the first interface for the vlan.  Then I
would install shorewall and set up NAT and dhcp on the other network
card for a local private subnet.  I would then install there on the
private subnet.  Then the new system being installed upon would not
need to know anything about any of the upstream vlan configuration.
After installation then I would install the vlan package and configure
the system for the target network and move it to its final destination.

Or if there were many identical machines then you could image the disk
and just copy the disk image around.  That is much more fragile.  But
with hand-holding it might bypass some of your vlan problems.

Bob