Re: ANDROID

On 30/10/2013 2:40 AM, ken wrote:
> On 10/29/2013 10:56 AM alex.padoly@laposte.net wrote:
> You might want to look at openmoko.org and openmoko.com.  These offer
> smartphones with GNU/Linux from the beginning.  So of course you can get
> all the source code, develop things yourself, etc.

Latest news, almost 2 years ago!!!

I like the open hardware idea, I also like the 'fair phone' [1] idea,
but neither is going to get you a /current/ phone with all the bells and
whistles.

More about fairphone:
  - non FHD
  - Android OS (not straight Linux)
  - No 4G, not enough 3G options
  - Pre-orders limited to Europe.

And then you have another issue with mobiles, the binary blobs that are
used for the mobile network radio(s).  It can never really be open
enough.  So, what do you do, perhaps I think, go with the best Android
option you can get (at this time) ... hopefully more choice will come
and the Ubuntu Touch (Phone OS) moves along more, but even then we
probably won't be able to avoid those binary blobs.

[1] http://www.fairphone.com/

Cheers
A.