Re: errant mouse-over behaviour.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:22:13 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Sharon Kimble
> <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:28:29 +0200
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> >> Or use this mouse in another port or better with another computer.
> >> Booting another OS, e.g. a Linux from a live media is useful.
> >
> > I've just unplugged all usb devices, and powered down and left it
> > for 10 minute’s, restarted and then plugging in the usb devices
> > once I’d got a desktop again. So now I'm just evaluating whether
> > I've got rid of the problem. But it doesn't seem to have cleared
> > it, the problem still remains.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharon.
>
> I'll get this kind of sticking with my netbook. Trackpad and mouse
> together seem to conflict. But usually unplugging the mouse and
> plugging it in a different port will clear the problem.
>
> (I suppose I should see if there is a bug on this.)
>
> Have you tried a different mouse, or the same mouse in a different
> machine? If you can, it would at least help to eliminate the possible
> hardware issues.

The problem was finally solved today by the arrival of a new usb-mouse.
I'd just done a re-install to correct various problems that I had, but I
was still using the old mouse, and it still had the same problems. In
fact, it had worsened! The left mouse button was now locked into
position and wouldn’t respond to any commands, and it still was randomly
picking up files and/or folders!

But the new usb-mouse is working very well, and I also bought a spare
at the same time, and a spare usb-keyboard too, just in case. I was
surprised that the original mouse had developed problems when its
only 10 months old, but it was made in china so who knows what
quality-control they have there!

Sharon.
my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots
Debian 7.2, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944