Re: Dying hard drive?

Veljko wrote:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:42:18AM +0200, Veljko wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:24:42PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 08:59:05AM +0200, Veljko wrote:
Do you guys have any advice for this? Should I first run dd on those drives.
They are part of RAID, so it should be difficult to read data from one drive
alone, but what is the best way to be sure? And obviously, I'll have to return
more than one drive.
Running dd is fine, shred [options] /dev/sd? is even better.
But shred will take forever to finish. Well, guess there is no quicker way.
As it turns out, I can't even return those drives fast enough. Reseller don't
have them on stock, so I'll have to wait for every drive about 15 days. That's
to long to wait so I'll buy new drives and deal with those faulty ones later.

So now, I wanted to ask if you have any recommendations for new HDDs. Would it
be good idea to buy four WD Caviar Red 3TB and replace those Seagate one by
one or should I stick with the same model Seagate? WD Reds are built for NAS
usage, but I don't know if it matters if you use software RAID.

Can't speak for the Seagates, but the WD Red series does seem optimized for RAID (google TLER for background). It makes a huge difference when you near end-of-life for the drives.