Re: Dying hard drive?

Veljko wrote:
> I'll try with their live CD on Monday when I get back to office. I'll also
> try
> with replacing SATA cables, just to be sure that they are not faulty and
> responsible for performance degradation.

I run SeaTools and it turns out that only sdc drive passed the test. All other
drives failed. "Unfortunately, your Seagate hard drive has failed an important
diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to
read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your
important data."

> Veljko wrote:
> >One question: how do you handle replacements like this? If supplier is willing
> >to replace bad drives, it is necessary to return bad ones, but data on those
> >drives are not intended to be seen by third parties.

Do you guys have any advice for this? Should I first run dd on those drives.
They are part of RAID, so it should be difficult to read data from one drive
alone, but what is the best way to be sure? And obviously, I'll have to return
more than one drive.

Regards,
Veljko