Re: Advice on new desktop/building?

On 10/21/13 10:49, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
Thank you to everyone who replied.

You're welcome.  :-)

> I think the best thing for me right now would be to NOT try to build my own. Some of the low-profile ones taht people suggested--Acer, Zotac--seem like theyd be powerful enough for my needs and able to be modified appropriately e.g. with an SSD.

Consider buying a used, "refurbished", "off-lease", etc., machine. Craig's List and Tiger Direct can have good deals, if you know what you want and you're patient.

> i do have GigE on my router and NAS, and I do regularly move huge files around, so its a real-world need.

Of the various ways I have to connect portable hard drives, I've found internal caddies/ drawers/ bays to be the fastest (250+ MB/s), then eSATA (~70MB/s), then Firewire 400 (~40 MB/s), then Gigabit (~30 MB/s), and last is USB 2.0 (~25 MB/s). Choice of method can save hours (or. days) when moving TB's.

David