Re: Advice on new desktop/building?

Jen,

First, congratulations on going about this the correct way, i.e., delineating what you want to do with the machine before going shopping. Most people buy a computer first, then try to do things with it that the machine will do only poorly, if at all.

Next, though I admire your enterprise in wanting to build your own machine, I hope you aren't too wedded to the idea. I've gainfully worked in the computer field since the late '80s, messed around with them pretty seriously for many years before that, and started using Linux in 1992. I decided to build my own machine once, and it was a nightmare. (I should inject at this point that at the same time I was building my own PC, at work I had a $1.8 million budget to put together an entire UNIX lab consisting of over 50 pre-spec'd boxes, with four co-existing networks each using entirely different technologies, different UNIX vendors, a SAN, and several Windows boxes. Putting all that together was easier than building my own PC at home.) I did get that PC together eventually and got everything working and used it for a lot of years, but my sense of satisfaction at the accomplishment was buried under the number of very frustrating hours I spent getting the correct and functioning components and getting all of them to work together properly. If you would like to learn a lot of deeply technical details that you'll never need to know again, if you don't mind spending lots of time on lots of technical details, if you don't mind having a few parts left over which you'll never use, if you don't mind spending time with vendors who insist that you prove to them that the component they sold you is bad, then you might enjoy building your own PC.

I'd recommend instead as a general strategy to buy an already-built computer... what just about everybody does. Take your specifications (pretty much what you emailed to the list) to your local computer outlet and have the salesperson actually write down which machines they sell which satisfy those specs. Alternatively, you could email your specs to an online salesperson and have them reply to your email with machines they sell which satisfy the specs.

If you can't find a ready-made machine that's what you want, then you'll have to fill in the gaps by installing cards in slots. It should be, for example, fairly easy to buy a card which gives you a couple more USB ports. Note though that the card you buy has to match the slot. This might be especially critical if you need to install a second video card. Don't actually buy the machine until you're certain that all the cards you're going to need to install will fit-- physically and technically-- into the slots on the motherboard. This goes of course for the RAM too, though this is hardly ever as problematic.

Re: gigabit ethernet: Are all the other nodes on your local networks also running this, including your router? If not, then it's a questionable feature.

That's enough for now.
Good luck,
ken