Re: grub warning when updating

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Guy Marcenac <guy@posteurs.com> wrote:

> I updated today my wheezy system.
> In the update there were both a grub and kernel updates.
> During install I got these messages
>
> Setting up grub-pc (1.99-27+deb7u2) ...
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless
> disk or to a partition. This is a BAD idea..
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are
> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> Generating grub.cfg ...
> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
> Warning: update-grub_lib is deprecated, use grub-mkconfig_lib instead
> Found linux image: /boot/bzImage-2.6.38.2-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64
> done
>
> Since this update I did not dare rebooting my system...
> What happened?
> Do I have to change my grub install, or is it OK to keep it like this?

Are you installing grub to a disk or to a partition?

If it's to a partition, this is a normal message because GRUB has to
use blocklists in this case.

How large is the post-MBR gap? It looks like core.img has become
larger with the upgraded package, cannot be embedded into the post-MBR
gap, and therefore GRUB needs blocklists for core.img to be located
and loaded at boot.