Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

https://www.archlinux.org/

Absolutely in sync with upstream and more stable than Debian :p, but you
have to set up Arch yourself. The install is without X, so without a DE.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/issue
Arch Linux \r (\l)

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried both Arch linux and its popular derivative Manjaro briefly, I don't have a positive experience with any of them.

Arch was having problems with my hardware as well with another computer. Additionally, I would prefer to use a real build yourself distro like Gentoo if I want to go through that direction. Gentoo would be better optimized for my system and probably be more stable.

Manjaro is doing fine with my laptop's hardware, however, when I installed it, Manjaro gave me other problems with some of the programs I am currently using. Add it to the fact that it is prone to breaking since it is a rolling based distro.

I don't find Arch and Manjaro stable, but I agree that they are sort of modern. But being in sync and up-to-date is a secondary criteria for me. I want a usable and stable linux like Debian rather than a modern and a problematic one.

I guess if I can't use Debian, I will probably go with opensuse 13.1. It is reasonably modern yet stable and usable and it seems like I don't have another alternative for a binary based linux.