Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

Debian is stable because it goes through a long period of ensuring that
the individual programs are stable before each version is released. This
means that it is generally old when it is released. Some other
distributions don't go through the same amount of stabilizing so they
can be more up to date.

This is the basic tradeoff. If you find Debian is too old for you, you
can switch to a distro that releases newer packages. There are a lot of
Debian derivatives that you can try without going through compiling your
own code. Again, Ubuntu and Mint are both popular.

I am well-aware of what Debian can offer to me and what it cannot. By choosing Debian I already accepted to use old software (not necessarily optimized). I already read a lot about Debian before I gave it a try and I am aware of the work done before every release. But this kind of a problem I am having may be a show stopper to me...

Unfortunately, both Ubuntu and Mint currently are not meeting my needs. I am afraid if I want a modern distro, I will go with an RPM based one because I don't see a Debian based alternative that would suit to my taste.