Re: Question for you network/DNS/Apache gurus;

On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 19:56 +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'll have a bite on this one...
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 01:50:46PM -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> > I have a web site established on a remote hosted VPS server system.
> > I have full root access.
> > I use Debian linux on my personal system (wheezy) & on the remotely
> > hosted site (squeeze).
> > I use Godaddy as my domain registrar.
> > I have the domain for the remotely hosted VPS site set up at Godaddy.
> > I have the exact IP address set up there to forward to the VPS site with
> > masking.
> > I have a tarball based mediawiki set up on the VPS site in /var/www/
> > There are no links in /var/www/ to the site, the opening page is
> > index.php & is in this directory.
> > I simply use the "/sites-enabled/default" in apache2 to send web queries
> > to the VPS site.
> >
> > Up to here all seems to work OK.
> > Here is the issue.
> > When I try to access the mediawiki for configuration, using
> > http://my.mediawiki.net (example)  the site will not work as it should.
> > It opens the startup page but will do nothing else.
>
> Odd. I assume you mean the startup page for mediawiki? (as opposed to
> the default apache "It's working!" page)

You are correct; The actual startup page for a "NEW" mediawiki
installation is a index.php page that is in fact a script to configure
the initial mwediawiki site. From that point the "wiki" may be edited by
those that are qualified and be read by anyone on any browser. Thant
page does not proper behave as a script, when accessed with the FQDN. It
does however act as a script when accessed with the actual numerical IP
address.

> > When I access the site with http:// 123.123.123.123 (example numerical
> > IP address) the VPS site allows the mediawiki to run the configuration &
> > setup as it should.
>
> Sounds good.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
John Foster<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>
> Is the DNS for my.mediawiki.net (example name) actually pointing to
> 123.123.123.123 (example IP) ?

Yes according to the hosting setup at GoDaddy it does point to the numerical address.
Additionally, I have done this before to point to a static IP address on
a server running here in my office.That server worked fine. Cant afford
the static IP any longer.

Thanks
John