Re: Question for you network/DNS/Apache gurus;

Hi

I'll have a bite on this one...

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 01:50:46PM -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> I have a web site established on a remote hosted VPS server system.
> I have full root access.
> I use Debian linux on my personal system (wheezy) & on the remotely
> hosted site (squeeze).
> I use Godaddy as my domain registrar.
> I have the domain for the remotely hosted VPS site set up at Godaddy.
> I have the exact IP address set up there to forward to the VPS site with
> masking.
> I have a tarball based mediawiki set up on the VPS site in /var/www/
> There are no links in /var/www/ to the site, the opening page is
> index.php & is in this directory.
> I simply use the "/sites-enabled/default" in apache2 to send web queries
> to the VPS site.
>
> Up to here all seems to work OK.
> Here is the issue.
> When I try to access the mediawiki for configuration, using
> http://my.mediawiki.net (example)  the site will not work as it should.
> It opens the startup page but will do nothing else.

Odd. I assume you mean the startup page for mediawiki? (as opposed to
the default apache "It's working!" page)

> When I access the site with http:// 123.123.123.123 (example numerical
> IP address) the VPS site allows the mediawiki to run the configuration &
> setup as it should.

Sounds good.

Is the DNS for my.mediawiki.net (example name) actually pointing to
123.123.123.123 (example IP) ?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen