Re: virtual packages missing ?

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> After removing some (I thought) un-needed libraries this morning, I
> ran into a problem of missing virtual packages.
> When ever I now try to do anything with aptitude, I get
> this result:
>

> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>   google-chrome-stable{b}
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
>  google-chrome-stable : Depends: lib32gcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) which is a
> virtual package.
>                         Depends: lib32stdc++6 (>= 4.6) which is a
> virtual package.
>                         Depends: libc6-i386 (>= 2.11) which is a
> virtual package.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
>      Remove the following packages:
> 1)     google-chrome-stable
>

> How can I fix this ? I wasn't aware I had removed anything essential
> but I guess I inadvertently did.

What architecture are you using? If it's amd64, then it looks to me
like:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

might help you, but I could be wrong. If you are running on amd64, and
you know you've already done this, then just disregard my advice.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc