Re: Oops - copied iso image to wrong device

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

The problem is that you didn't delete it, but you've overwritten the
data, OTOH the ISO is very small, so not very much is overwritten. First
you need to try to recover the partition table. Assumed this should
work, then mount the drive read only and use a tool to undelete files
for the original used file system.

Hi Ralf, and apologies for the delay. I am on the road due to a family emergency and obviously that has to come first. I was going to try to set up another family member on a dual boot, the reason I was trying to create the install stick.

The drive I overwrote the partition table on is an older Wester Digital external 320 GB drive that I put an ext4 FS on right out of the box. In trying to recover the partition table gpart only reports finding the original (I think) NTFS partition table with one primary that covers the full disk, and three primaries of zero size. So it looks like I am unable to recover the partition table because there should be a single ext4 partition.

At this point the time required to recover what I wanted off of here for this trip is probably not going to be worth the effort. I may try to recover files if I get a chance, but I'm probably going to have to put off setting up my sister's dual boot until the next trip.

Thanks to you and other responses.