Re: pcmanfm no window/gui, one user only

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 02:33:20PM +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 15.10.2013 12:42, Tazman Deville a écrit :
> >On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 02:22:06PM +0200,
> >berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> >>So it must be a configuration problem, or other users would have the
> >>same problem.
> >
> >This is one of the first things I thought,
> >but, as mentioned in my original message,
> >I replaced MY configs with those of another user
> >(and chowned them to me), and this made no difference.
>

> Yes, but you only did this on pcmanfm's configuration files, right?
> I think the problem is not directly a pcmanfm's one, but maybe
> related to something it uses. This is why I suggested you to move
> all config files. Do something like that:
>
> $ mkdir OLD_CONFIG
> $ mv .* OLD_CONFIG
> $ pcmanfm

You're talking about moving every .configfile in my $HOME?
That sounds a bit drastic, and possibly a bad idea.
Can we narrow it down to what possible files might actually affect
it without implementing such drastic measures?

> >>You need pcmanfm-dbg to have symbols, it might help. However, I have
> >>never tried it myself.
> >
> >I do have that installed.
>
> Honestly, I tried to use the *dgb files. I had no results, I was
> never able to understand their use.
> It seems that it is better to compile the software with the -g
> option, and debug the compiled version. At least, you will have the
> source code, with comments, which makes things really easier, and

Only if it's written in a language I can make sense of, of course.

> you also might use some IDE or a debugger with a real human usable
> interface. i

VIM IS THE ONLY IDE!!!

> The debugger I use (which are, in fact, simple frontends to gdb) are
> the plug-in of codeblocks, and cgdb (I know prefer this last one,
> except that I still do not know how to interrupt a program, unlike
> in C::B.). You can also use ddd, or the debugging feature in
> qtcreator, for example. All of them uses gdb in background, but they
> are far easier to use than gdb.

I don't thnk we're getting anywhere with gdb or other debuggers, because
it's simply stopping and hanging at some point.
Or maybe some other debugger will be able to tell me where, and possibly
why?

thanks,
./taz
--