Re: Problems creating preseed.cfg - syntax?

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm having several problems getting desired results from preseeding.
> My Environment:
>   No internet/LAN
>   Install media
>      Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 "Wheezy" - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20130615-21:54
>   preseed.cfg on USB stick

You and Brian and I had an good discussion about this last year.  Well
I thought Brian and I had a great discussion anyway.  :-)

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/12/thrd2.html#00516

I still think you should consider a LAN (local, with emphasis on
local, network) for your case.  I understand you don't want to use a
WAN in any way.  That's fine.  But a LAN is not a WAN.

Second best I think you should create a custom initrd on your usb
installation image.  Then put those early preseed questions there.
That seems the most trouble free way.

I should play with the USB preseed.  I don't know enough about it.
But reading through the docs it just didn't seem like the best way to
do things.  Which is why I headed straigth for the initrd preseed.

> # To get a list of every possible question that could be asked
> # during an install, do an installation, and then run these commands:
> #   debconf-get-selections --installer > file
> #   debconf-get-selections >> file

Just a general comment about that strategy.  That is a good way to get
a raw dump of everything.  I have even seen it recommended to use that
file as the preseed file.  But I think that is not maintainable.  It
is too much of a raw dump.  I did that too originally.  But then I
found it better to list the minimum configuration needed and to
comment each one appropriately.  So while it is reasonable to start
out that way eventually you outgrow it.

> Unfortunately when I try bash responds "command not found".
> The existing install was a manual install from DVD1 using default
> answers except for user/password/etc. Confirmed debconf installed by
> checking with synaptic.

Install debconf-utils.  /usr/bin/debconf-get-selections is in the
debconf-utils package.

There are two ways to find out what package contains a file.

  # apt-get install apt-file
  # apt-file update
  $ apt-file search /usr/bin/debconf-get-selections
  debconf-utils: /usr/bin/debconf-get-selections

And there is an online search form for just such things too.

  http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Scroll down to "Search the contents of packages".  Paste in the file
path /usr/bin/debconf-get-selections.  Optionally set the
Distribution.  Click "Search".

  File                                 Packages
  /usr/bin/debconf-get-selections      debconf-utils

Bob