Re: Oops - copied iso image to wrong device

Am Sonntag, 13. Oktober 2013, 11:00:50 schrieb Brian:
> On Sun 13 Oct 2013 at 00:54:44 +0000, mark ryan wrote:
> > I was creating a bootable USB stick from an installer image on another
> > external hard drive. I did a cat debian-7.1.0-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdb
> > when I meant /dev/sdc. sdb was my external drive with the iso on it, and
> > other files. I am now unable to mount that drive. What, if anything, can I
> > do to recover that drive?

If some sectors are3 not overwritten, you might eb able to rescue some files
(pictures, textfiles or similar) by using foremost or scalpel.

Checkout a forensic livefile system. I suggest DEFT-7.2 (32-bit) or DEFT-8.0
(only 64-bit).

It has got some nioce tools on it, so it might be not everything is lost.

Good luck!

Hans