Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 00:22:47 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 12.10.2013 00:01, Paul Cartwright a écrit :
> > On 10/11/2013 05:21 PM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org [1] wrote:
> >
> >> It does only means you own the system. Not that you can claim to be
> >> a sysadmin. I own my car. I am not a mechanic, but I anyway have
> > the
> >> *AUTHORIZATIONS* to tinker it. It's what root, or to be more
> >> precise, uid=0 means in linux OSes.
> >  the difference is, you don't have a "mechanic" for Debian, you ARE
> > the mechanic. YOU make it better ( or worse), so yes you ARE the
> > sysadmin. your other users cannot maintain the system, they cannot
> > update the system, they cannot destroy the system. You can update
> > it, maintain it, destroy it, all by yourself.
>
> I think we simply disagree on what a sysadmin is.
> So, I'll now use a definition that I does not have created, from a
> source which is often considered as quite good, wikipedia:
>
> ===============
> A system administrator, or sysadmin, is a person who is responsible
> for the upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of computer
> systems; especially multi-user computers, such as servers.
> ===============
>
> The keyword here is "multi-user", with the constraints it apply. If
> you manage your own computer, then, ok, you are the admin of your
> computer. You are not a sysadmin.
> That's my opinion, and I accept to discuss about it, but
> unfortunately, I must admit that your argument is not strong enough
> to convince me, and that I can not find an argument that I think you
> could hear. Except the authority argument I just used, which I
> consider as many other people as a weak one ( at least I was able to
> quote, and not simply say "I know someone which...". Better than
> usual in that kind of arguments ).

There are infinite shadings of gray.  I, a 'simple home user' (Sid),
also enjoy my wife (Wheezy) and daughter (Wheezy) having their own
hardware in their own space but on the same LAN using our ISP's DSL
modem and a Linksys router.  I administer their systems through GNOME's
Remote Desktop Viewer and synaptic, basic stuff if you ask me, updating
as necessary from my own machine.   Usually they don['t even know.  I
know that I am not all that knowledgeable vis-a-vis Linux, but so far
have been able to keep up. In addition, I have set up our Visioneer
OneTouch 7300 USB scanner to use with Linux.  Do that.

(in truth, it isn't that hard)

Am I a sysadmin?  Am I just lucky?

I just yesterday converted both Wife's and my own systems to use a wifi
hotspot, installing the wifi PCIe cards and configuring them, set up
the tablets (including a Pengpod 100 running Android and Linaro Linux)
and smart phones to use it when it is in range.

Where is my own spot on that sysadmin role?  Is I one-0-them?  Am I just
a simple user?

Hey, so  I've got a cool nym and have had it for a very long time
(94? 95?) , but it is only a cool nym, not indicative of anything.  I'm
a carpenter with a side interest in computers.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
	Larry Niven, Steven Barnes