Re: apt-get vs. aptitude

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

>> Oh I have fond memories of aptitude breaking my system. Once it
>> suggested me to remove most of my system, including apt, I thought it
>> was going to upgrade it so I confirmed it. I had to reinstall apt from
>> the debian packages website.
>>
>> In this new installation I gave it another try but when it started
>> suggesting very weird plans (like remove all gnome packages) I happily
>> went back to apt and never looked back.
>
> Please don't top-post.

+1

> If aptitude's such a destructive package, why is it still in the repositories?

I think that aptitude works quite well for the easiest cases. And it is
the only instrument I know which allow to see dependency chains. It was
dselect some time ago which could do it too as I know, but now it seems
to be dead. BTW, it provides with good capabilities for searching
through packages.

There're quite good beginnings in this project as you can see. So it's
popular and is in the repository.

> I suspect that the problem's in the example  above are simply PEBKAC.
>                                            ^

So do I. User should think what he allowed program to do when he'd
raised his privilages to root.

PS: About odd letter 's' in 'examples'. Man. Whithout arguments, it
seems to be rudeness. Observe netiquette.