Re: apt-get vs. aptitude

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Dmitrii Kashin <freehck@freehck.ru> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the prefered tool for installing on the CLI? apt-get or
>>> aptitude? Last time I read about it, it was aptitude, due to better
>>> dependency checking. What is the current state? apt-get or aptitude?
>>> Does it matter? What about using both?
>>
>> I should notice that you cannot compare apt-get and aptitude. But you
>> can do it for aptitude and APT utilities.
>>
>> I find aptitude somtimes inadequate, and therefore dangerous in some
>> cases. I met situations when aptitude completly broke functioning of
>> APT. APT utilities in their turn are simpler, and they are more
>> preferred to manage packages.
>>
>> But although aptitude can break APT, APT could not break aptitude's
>> working, so you always can use it in order to use its searching
>> abilities. I do so.
>
> Have you filed a bug report about aptitude breaking apt (whatever that
> means!) or is this just FUD?

No, I have not. Because it is normal aptitude's behaviour.
I have just written about this case in debian-russian list, but can not
find now the original text, so I am writing new one.

It was a cognitive case. I had set priorities for dbus to negative ones
using pinning. Then I tried to install some package which needed dbus
with apt-get and aptitude; and then I compared behavior of theese
utilities.

As it was impossible to resolve dependencies for this package due to
pinning, apt-get printed error message and shut down. And in my opinion
it was a right decision.

But aptitude in its turn did not bahave the same way. What did it do?
It suggested to me several "solutions". They were:

1) Install this package ignoring dependency.

As it was a hard dependency, program could not work without it. And if
you choose this variant, unresolved dependencies appears in the system,
so you would not be able to use apt-get to manage packages anymore.

And it is the case you asked about.

2) Install dbus, forgot about pinning.

This one just shocked me.

3) ...

There was a lot of fun "solutions" of the problem. But as I said, I can
not find original post, and can not remember more examples.

It's enough I think.