Re: OT for this OT: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On 10/11/2013 9:15 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

Wikipedia is hardly what I would call "reliable".

Many people claim that many Wikis are bad. I disagree, it's a lexicon
that is much better than most, if not all reputable printed lexica. If
you find a bad Wiki, please correct it, make it better.

I never said it was bad.  Only that it's not a reliable source.

A few Wikis are not only much better than reputable printed lexica, they
are very good, they are at least at a higher academic standard.

All non-fiction has got weak points, you'll find people writing things
like "The Lies And Fallacies Of The Encyclopedia Britanica".

Reading an article of a lexicon can't impart what 30 years of studying a
field does teach, but Wikis or something similar should be good enough
for semantics formation. I don't care about how anybody of us defines
"sysadmin" or about "levels" of administering, so I don't know this
Wiki.

Since Jerry has got doubts about Wiki articles, I wonder that Jerry does
quote Wikis too:

So it might be better to disagree about the interpretation of a Wiki,
but not about the generell reliability of Wikis.

So I also quote them occasionally. That does not mean I think they are reliable.

However, trolls do pounce on individual words and phrases and try to twist them around to suit them, because they are either unable to carry on an intelligent discussion, or have on intelligent response.

Jerry