Re: Installing Cinnamon 2.0

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:42:44 +0200, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> MATE can be installed alongside other DEs on Fedora so I'm not at all
>> convinced by this MATE-conflicts-with-"common-software" meme!
>> Soneone said upthread that MATE uses GTK2. AFAIK it's being
>> transitioned to GTK3 so it'll then be less of a burden to package it
>> for Debian.
>
> Correct, Mate does a transition to GTK3, but as explained before, it still
> would be a PITA to make packages for official repositories, since you need
> to prevent against such a conflict:
>
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:43:43 +0200, Alex Moonshine <afterclouds@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, but why would one need mate-file-archiver (Engrampa) and
>> file-roller on the same machine? The former is a fork of the latter
>> (and to all practical means just the same package under different
>> name). Same goes for nautilus/caja, gedit/pluma, etc.
>> I think that either you use MATE DE and Engrampa replaces file-roller
>> for you, or, if you want to install MATE on a system that already has
>> some other DE with file-roller installed, that you want to keep, you
>> install mate-base package, which (I believe) includes none of extra
>> applications (and you can go on using file-roller under MATE).
>
> Somebody might want to test GNOME 3 and Mate on the same install. There are
> workarounds. I e.g. didn't install mate-file-archiver and add a link
> /usr/bin/matedialog -> zenity.

One of the reasons for using a distribution is for its maintainers to
take care of such issues for their users.

Fedora must've dealt with this issue. (I assume that Mint has too!)

If Debian were to package MATE, it would do so too. If the Debian
maintainers of two packages can't agree, there's a technical committee
to propose/impose a solution.

The example that you gave was from Arch; its maintainers simply didn't
do the right thing (in this particular instance, not overall!). That
doesn't mean that MATE is broken or that it breaks other packages.