Re: reinstalling Nginx & others usin apt from command line

Le 11.10.2013 06:10, John W. Foster a écrit :
I stripped every reference to evolution from the entire file system,

Including hidden folders?

Try this:

$cd ~
$find -iname '*evolution*'

At that point, if you found something, then you forgot hidden folders, so do

$rm -r `find -iname '*evolution*'`

to remove them. Just be careful when checking files after the 1st find, some applications could use a close name. And, of course, this only works if and only if you application used it's own name as part of folder's names where it stores stuff. Usually, they does. Usually, but I can think of iceweasel which uses .mozilla for example, and I had many examples of the same problem when I was using windows and removing things by hands. Checking the provider's name of the software is never a bad idea.

purged the application as you suggested in your references, and
reinstalled it.

This will only remove files in /etc. We can like it or not ( I do not, but the problem is not simple ) but it is like that currently.