Re: apt-pinning, strange behavior

berenger.morel@neutralite.org writes:

> Since I had to reinstall from my last kernel error, I decided to stay
> with stable on that computer, but I need some softwares in less
> outdated versions, like development libraries or i3 ( this one is not
> a need but a question of comfort, I admit ), so I want to use
> apt-pining.
>
> I have set all packages from stable to a priority of 900 and testing
> packages with 500.
> But tzdata wants to upgrade, for an unknown reason.

Certainly it wants. According to apt_preferences(5):

 500 <= P < 990
           causes a version to be installed unless there is a version
           available belonging to the target release or the installed
           version is more recent

As you see, both pins are in the same range, so there are managed by the
same rules.

You should use priority of >=990 for the target release.

> Explicitly making it to a priority of 900 for stable fixes that, but I
> can not understand why it is needed?

You have just set this priority to the whole stable repository. This
should not work at all.

Maybe it will be sane to show us how you set pins?