Re: Tool for investigating dependency chains?

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 09.10.2013 17:22, Richard Owlett a écrit :
I'm in the process of doing some idiosyncratic minimalistic
installs using
the "--no-install-recommends" option of apt-get.

What I would like to do is enter the package name. The tool's
response would be a list of the recommended packages and their
associated description from packages.gz. At the moment the
referenced
repository would be a distribution DVD.

It's doable completely manually, but ;/

TIA

This is one of the reasons I like a lot aptitude.
Run it in GUI mode (no argument, it can be used with any user,
not only root), search for the package you want (press '/' and
enter a regex describing the package's name you want), and press
enter.
You will have description, debtags, lot of various informations,
and at the end, just before all versions you can install:
_ dependencies it have ( what it depends, recommends and suggests)
_ which packages depends on it ( being a conflict, a dependency,
a recommendation or a simple suggestion)
_ which packages does it provides ( for virtual packages, like
x-window-manager, x-display-manager, editor, x-terminal-emulator
and much other. Those are only the probably most important ones
for most users. )

Those are trees, with "depends on" or "depended by", then package
name, and then complete name of package, including versions.
Sometimes you have choice, more than one package name can fulfill
a single dependency, and/or a meta-package is here. In those
situations, each possible package is simply shown in the complete
package list.

If I can correctly read and follow instructions (friends and family tend to doubt), the above tells me too much about what is already installed and not enough about what is not installed :(