Re: which MTA to choose for a simple client?

Le 09.10.2013 14:05, Curt a écrit :
What use do you find for an MTA if you're using IMAP?
I do not know, really.
I simply have read here and there that it was needed, and since I have noticed so much choice in aptitude, I asked here to understand what solution would be the best.

If it is to not use any stuff like that, then I am really happy.

Of course, there's the question of local daemons (etc.) sending
system messages to
root (there are small, simple solutions for that).

I am happy without that, since at least 2 years. Having a desktop computer, and not a server, I have removed most daemons which are installed by default. I still have near 100 processes running in my back, of course, and I would like to know what are their roles, but I think they are not daemons: /usr/sbin/service --status-all gives me less than 40 lines ( on the fresh install of my desktop, on which there things that I do not use like cron for example ) and not all of them are running ( if I interpret correctly the ouput, which is not certain ).

As far as having multiple smart hosts, alpine (my mail client) handles that with "roles" easily enough. I'm sure (well, I'm optimistic) Mutt
can do the same thing.

I am trying to put myself into that world of local mail clients, so I can not say if it does or not :)