Re: which MTA to choose for a simple client?

On 2013-10-09, berenger.morel@neutralite.org <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:

> I am trying to put myself into that world of local mail clients, so I
> can not say if it does or not :)

There seems to be some confusion, as always.

I use alpine.  Alpine sends my mail through my "smart host"
(smtp.free.fr). Or any other damn smart host I need to send through.
Multiple smart hosts, in fact, in my case, because I have it set up to
send through smtp.gmail.com also.

It reads (and retrieves, if I need or want to save mail locally) mail on
my isp's imap server (imap.free.fr), as well as on gmail's imap server
(imap.gmail.com).

You just plug the smtp server(s) and imap server(s) into pine's
configuration file.  It's about as simple as pie can be, but if you want
it complicated, it can be complicated.  It can always be complicated and
confusing, which is the ultimately of human discourse.

Of course, if you're getting a hundred thousand mails a day for 785 local
users, it might not scale.

;-)