NEWBIE installation report - was [Re: You can have any color you want - as long as it's Gnome?]

Jape Person wrote:
On 10/07/2013 09:37 AM, davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Jape Person wrote:

On 10/06/2013 05:33 PM, davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Jape Person wrote:

For both stable and testing I tried both LXDE and Xfce desktop
environment installations. But when the systems rebooted, I
was at
the Gnome desktop.
[snip]
is it possible that [the display manager at login] did offer
you a
choice (via, say, a drop-down menu or something), with gnome
pre-selected as the default?

No, I suppose I should have mentioned that. The default choice
(from
lightdm) was "default xsession". The only other choice in the
dropdown on the login was gnome. I didn't see Xfce listed at all.

okay, i see.  interesting.  that is more misbehavior than is
reported
thus far at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=718855 .

the absence of Xfce from the DM selections---that is missing
from the
report.  the report just says Xfce isn't the default selection in
lightdm.

I hope that is actually the case. I am sober now and not
kibbitzing with my buddies, but don't have much time. If I can
get some free time I'll try again with my eyes open and taking
notes for a possible contribution to the bug report.

I say I hope that is the case, because that would mean that a new
user could install one of these lightweight environments and just
deal temporarily with the dross until the package management /
dependency issues are fixed, at which time the upgrade process
might offer to remove gnome during an upgrade. Of course, that
would probably confuse the heck out of 'em, too, wouldn't it?
[SNIP]

I just did an install from
[Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 "Wheezy" - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20130615-21:54]

My choices from the the opening set of menus were:
   Advanced Options
   Alternative desktop environments
   Xfce
   Advanced options
Expert install [ I may not be "Expert" but am "Control Freak" ;]
Thereafter I usually took default choices except to manual partition.
At "Software selection" I chose
   Debian desktop environment
   Laptop
   Standard system utilities
That got me a login with only Xfce available.

The above installed almost 1000 packages. OUCH!
It occupies ~2.5 GB compared to similarly configured ~2.9 GB for Squeeze.

Doing a similar install to another partition w/o "Debian desktop" had 350 packages.
I followed that with a
   apt-get install xfce4 [installed 189 packages]
On reboot got only tty1. Followed that with
apt-get install lightdm [installed 8 packages including a few gnome files]
That got me my loginscreen ;)
It occupies ~1.4 GB compared to similarly configured ~1.2 GB for Squeeze.

Just for chuckles I did a default Gnome install - 1357 packages loaded by "Software selection" step. Weighs in at 3.4 GB used and ugly to boot.

HTH