You can have any color you want - as long as it's Gnome?

Heh.

Just being a little tongue-in-cheek here.

I needed to do a fresh installation of Debian on two systems for friends this
weekend. I tried both stable (7.1) and the 10/02/2013 daily of testing -- both
of them the netinst image.

For both stable and testing I tried both LXDE and Xfce desktop environment
installations. But when the systems rebooted, I was at the Gnome desktop.
(Partying, barbecue, and our wives and children were involved -- so I wasn't
watching the process as closely as I might have, otherwise.)

While doing routine upgrades on my own systems I had run into a situation
somewhat related and reported by someone else at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=718855.

Okay. So I installed Debian testing without a DE, and then tried to add
xfce-desktop via aptitude. I saw that I was still going to get Gnome and
canceled the operation.

So, I just added xfce and lightdm packages and then added other stuff a piece at
a time until I got both systems configured.

This wasn't a huge deal for me, but I'm pretty sure that no newcomers to the
Debian distribution are installing Xfce or LXDE from a daily image of testing or
from the stable image. (I didn't try KDE. Maybe it works because, surely, it
doesn't use network-manager-gnome.)

>From my perspective, it looks to me as though the problem is
network-manager-gnome's desire to install gnome-control-center. Xfce and LXDE
both want network-manager-gnome, so they also get gnome-control-center,
gnome-session, and just about everything else gnome-like.

For such an annoying bug, it seems like this has been around for quite some
time. It might not be serious to Xfce per se, but I'd think the Debian community
would be concerned about it. People trying new installations aren't being given
the choices advertised in the d-i.

Or am I missing something?

Anyway, friends and I had lots of time to drink because of the extra time
required for installations -- so not such a bad thing for us.

But for those reading this list, maybe this report may not be as lucid as one
could hope for!

;-)

Jape