Re: You can have any color you want - as long as it's Gnome?

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Jape Person wrote:

For both stable and testing I tried both LXDE and Xfce desktop
environment installations. But when the systems rebooted, I was at
the Gnome desktop.

you do not mention the display manager.

at login, did the display manager's login dialog box not offer you a
choice of DE?

is it possible that it did offer you a choice (via, say, a drop-down
menu or something), with gnome pre-selected as the default?

While doing routine upgrades on my own systems I had run into a
situation somewhat related and reported by someone else at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=718855.

it kinda sounds like you ran into the *identical* situation.  but
without knowing what options the display manager offered you, i guess
i shouldn't be too certain.

hth,
wes

ps: i did a recent install for a friend, as well, and i believe we ran
into bug #718855, too.  it does break the principle of least surprise,
but it did not prevent us from selecting an xfce session from the
display manager.  (at least, i don't *think* i had to do anything more
fu-intensive than select xfce from a drop-down in the DM greeter.
memory is a little fuzzy.)