Re: You can have any color you want - as long as it's Gnome?

Le 07.10.2013 16:02, Curt a écrit :
On 2013-10-07, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

With the wheezy netinstaller you simply choose 'Advanced Options' on
the
first page you're presented with, then 'Alternative desktop
environments," then 'Xfce.' No Gnome.

With this version of the netinstaller at least that's the way it's
done:

debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso

The problem is that what you describe does not work as expected,
according to the OP.

I followed the procedure described above, installing to a usb key, and when I booted the usb key I was in the desktop environment of my choice and not in
Gnome.

But I can't remember whether I chose Xfce or LXDE (but he said for the
both of them he ended up in Gnome).

So what I described worked as expected for me (I think--I didn't check to see
whether all of Gnome got installed somehow behind my back).

Anyhoo, the plot sickens.

Actually, rereading his post, I don't see him saying he followed the
procedure I followed anywhere; rather he says he installed testing
without a DE, then tried to install a lightweight desktop with aptitude,
so this is something of time-waster, isn't it?

If so, yes, but I think that he first tried the procedure you described, because of those words:

I needed to do a fresh installation of Debian on two systems for friends this weekend. I tried both stable (7.1) and the 10/02/2013 daily of testing -- both
of them the netinst image.

For both stable and testing I tried both LXDE and Xfce desktop environment installations. But when the systems rebooted, I was at the Gnome desktop.
snip
Okay. So I installed Debian testing without a DE, and then tried to add xfce-desktop via aptitude. I saw that I was still going to get Gnome and
canceled the operation.

I think that he meant that he first tried the normal way, and when seeing that it was not working tried testing with installation from aptitude. But I might have misunderstood something, would not be the first time and probably not the last too :)

apt-get --no-install-recommends

No?

I guess. Must admit that my installation process is not really the fastest one: installing no package at first, then on reboot disabling automatic installation of recommended packages and finally install what I know I'll use :)