Re: network/bridging problems

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Ross Boylan
<rossboylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> I removed network manager and have this in /etc/network/interaces:
>
> # eth2 managed by bridge and not otherwise mentioned
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet dhcp
>    bridge_ports eth2
>
> That seems to work with the kvm-ifup script provided by wheezy qemu-kvm.

I was surprised by this because whether you set up a bridge manually
or, on RHEL, via ifcfg files (or on Gentoo via net and net.* files),
you have to define and bring up the bridge components.

A "man -k bridge" reveals "bridge-utils-interfaces" and "man
bridge-utils-interfaces" explains:

<======
 bridge_ports interface specification
              You  should  not  put any lines to configure the interfaces that
              will be used by the bridge, as this will be setup  automatically
              by the scripts when bringing the bridge up.
======>

So I've been mimicking the RHEL way on Debian and Ubuntu and setting
up bridges in "/etc/network/interfaces" incorrectly. :(

> Note I have not rebooted since setting this up, and so it's possible that
> might expose problems.

LOL. Good luck but it should be OK. (Famous last words!)

> P.S. I was wondering if tap0 needed to be setup both in interfaces and
> kvm-ifup; evidently it does not.

:)