Re: network/bridging problems

I removed network manager and have this in /etc/network/interaces:

# eth2 managed by bridge and not otherwise mentioned

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
   bridge_ports eth2

That seems to work with the kvm-ifup script provided by wheezy qemu-kvm.

Note I have not rebooted since setting this up, and so it's possible that might expose problems.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ross

P.S. I was wondering if tap0 needed to be setup both in interfaces and kvm-ifup; evidently it does not.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

>> Arun made a suggestion that
>> > Your 'physical' device eth0/eth2 or whatever needs to be added to the
>> bridge.
>> I believe that is done by the /etc/kvm/kvm-ifup script that is executed
>> when I launch the virtual machine.
>
> I think that file must have been removed at some point.  I have
> the qemu-kvm package (which owns that file) installed but do not have
> that file on my system.  The qemu-kvm.postinst script in the current
> package removes the conffile. So just a note that the file doesn't
> exist in recent versions.
>
>> One thing I struggled with was that qemu-kvm, via the /etc/kvm/kvm-ifup
>> script I mentioned above, does some stuff automatically. Help that is
>> written without that in mind tends to include instructions that either
>> duplicate or, perhaps, are at cross-purposes with it.
>
> And since that file was removed I assume it was problematic for others
> as well.

"/etc/kvm/kvm-ifup" (provided by qemu-kvm in stable and testing) has
been replaced by "/etc/qemu-ifup" (provided by qemu-system-common in
unstable) but it's the same script, and it's mildly buggy because it
uses ip three times but only checks for the existence of ip the first
and the third (with a fallback to ifconfig/brctl) but it might not be
worthy of report given that iproute is "Required", at least since
Debian 7.