Re: should an end user stick to a kernel with an initrd?

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 14:41 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> > > At least 2 disks are mounted, while I prefer to use labels, sd* anyway
> > > does work too.
> >
> > I couldn't care less how many disks you have.
> >
> > Defaulting to the use of UUIDs isn't some wacky whim but a
> > well-reasoned technical decision, unless you want to claim to know
> > more than the developers putting together distributions.
> >
> > This isn't a question of "/dev/sdX works for me, yay!" The issue is
> > that device names aren't NECESSARILY stable (some would say that
> > they've never been so) so, distributions are using UUIDs in order to
> > avoid having any Linux user anywhere be unable to boot because sda is
> > now sdc, sdb is now sda, and sdc is now sdb...
>
> I only want to mention that this never happened on my machine within the
> last >= 10 years and I turn my PC often on and off. How often does it
> switch on your machine? Does anybody experience that sda became sdb
> after rebooting? I don't claim that this can't happen.

I was about to point out that accessibility users of certain linux
distributions due to necessities of accessibility support really do need
initrd's.  Fedora is one instance that comes to mind just to keep speakup
working when the install is finished.  Because the discussion turned in
the direction it did though, it's probably a good idea for those intent
on adding more devices to a system on a temporary or permanent basis to
download and use lspci for the pci devices and lsusb both before and
after devices get added to note the changes that may have happened on an
pci or usb level.  These levels probably are going to be more
human-readable.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>