Re: Building computer

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 08:11:31PM -0700, Dan Hitt wrote:
>>
>> This is regarding the question of what computer hardware to buy that
>> will work with debian, given that store-bought computers were a
>> problem this latest time.
>>
>> First, what is the name of the computer you actually bought?  What the
>> other posters are saying about UEFI is probably true, but with a
>> specific computer model, somebody may be able to provide a specific
>> work around.  (For example, we bought some Gateways and had to figure
>> out just what the magic incantation was to get them to boot up by usb
>> and put ubuntu on them.)
>>
> At the very least it will inform all of us so that we may avoid that
> particular model/manufacturer/vendor.

I'd call it obscure rather than magical.

For example, I had to press F12 at boot on a Lenovo laptop today in
order to get to the UEFI boot manager and select the install DVD.
Otherwise I'd boot straight into Windows even though I'd put the DVD
at the top of the boot order in the "BIOS" (using F2 at boot). It's
only been a month since I installed on Dell and HP laptops but I can't
remember what function/escape keys I used; I'm pretty sure that they
weren't F2 and F12...