Re: HDD repair help please

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:08:54 -0400 (EDT), Gábor Hársfalvi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How could I repair my HDD with disk manager or similar?
>
> Because, it has got a lots of bad sector.
>
> Before I could do that with fsck in recovery mode after umount /home. But
> now it can't work - it says device in use.

fsck cannot repair a file system which is mounted read/write.  It can only
repair a file system which is not mounted or which is mounted read/only.

However, if the sectors are bad because the hard disk is going bad, fsck
cannot fix that.  You need to determine why the sectors went bad in the
first place.  If your hard disk is going bad, it's time to replace the
hard disk.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :