Broken threads and missing quotations

I recently got back from holiday.  I have found catching up on the list really
difficult because so many people now break threads and don't trim quotes, or,
even worse, do not quote at all.

What on earth am I to make of, for example:
Re Widgets <but not connected in any way to the thread>:
Yes, I quite agree, Stephen.  But I find it helpful if you use the spade.

Or when people do quote, person after person top quotes, interspersed with
people bottom quoting.  Made worse by long paragraphs with no breaks.

_Please_ people.  The idea is that we should help each other and that that
help should be available in the archive for searchers to find.  We need to be
both legible and comprehensible.

Lisi