Re: Changes in xmodmap or something?

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I have been noticing for some time that my ~/.inputrc key combos don't
>> work.  Also the keyboard Alt key doesn't work in emacs if I run it in
>> -nw more (in an xterm).
>
> Race condition.  I just sent a similar answer to you in the other
> mailing list. :-)

Yeah, I just finished you post there and responded... I guess this
list is really the better place since it is not really an Emacs issue
but more OS stuff,

I'll put the ouput of xmodmap here too:

,----
| xmodmap:  up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
|
| shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
| lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
| control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x69)
| mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c),  Meta_L (0xcd)
| mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
| mod3
|
| mod4 Super_L (0x85), Super_R (0x86), Super_L (0xce), Hyper_L (0xcf)
| mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)
`----

Oh, and I'm not using an ~/.xmodmap

>> I guess some kind of changes over time in the OS setup has happened
>> but I could not nail it down to any particular date... haven't been
>> paying close attention.
>
> I think you have configured AltGr or other modifier without realizing
> it.

What might do that?

[...]

>>   `á'
>
> That is the result of AltGr-a.  Leading me to believe that you have
> Alt configured as AltGr.  A common configuration.
>
> Is that the Left-Alt, Right-Alt, or both?  Most people would configure
> Right Alt as the AltGr key.  Then use the Left Alt for Meta.  If you
> are in the habit of using Right Alt for Meta then this would be a
> conflict of use.  But you could reconfigure to use a different key and
> continue as you have been.

I'll answer again here to keep info here too, its both Alt keys.
I rarely use the right ALT for anything, but when I do I expect to
behave the same as left alt, and for years it has seemed to do so.

>> If I start emacs -nw in an xterm same kind of thing happens when I
>> press Alt-x (Or what emacsers often refer to M-x).. I get this:
>>
>>   `ø'
>
> For me with AltGr-x I get "œ" which is different from your report.

Yeah, I see so maybe it isn't related to the AltGr at all.

>> I don't often use emacs -nw any more but sometimes I need it.
>
> I use it all of the time.  Using it right now.

I mostly use emacs -nw now when I need to do something in a directory
I'm already in with an xterm... its just quicker to do some things in
dired.  But there was a time when I used it much more extensively.
Now I miss the fruit salad of emacs running in X in its own terminal,
I guess.

>> I'm guessing there is some sort of xmodmap settings that will put
>> things back the way I want them... but really no clue how to devise
>> them.
>
> Recently I asked a similar question in this thread.  Here is the start:

>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/08/msg00819.html
>
> And for me the resolution is described here:
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/08/msg00832.html
>
> Also other good information in that thread.

OK, thanks again... off to read these URLs