Re: What is location for building/ installing system-wide software?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:32:36PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Why?  Seriously, it isn't needed.  Just group 'staff'.

I'll admit I didn't take the time to look into the rather extensive
/etc/group in debian. Thanks for that, and your other info on
groups. Given the wealth of packages in debian, I couldn't tell you
the last time I built something from source if my life depended on it.

> The problem with that is that a mistake (or nefarious intent) in a
> Makefile can cause the build to crawl out of the build directory and
> into the rest of the system.  Sure it would be a bug.  Sure it would
> be addressed in a different version.  But there is no safety net.
> Once tripped over then the damage to your system is already done.

Yeah, I thought there would be good arguments against doing it that
way, and that's a good one.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net