mutt in gnome-terminal goes gray!

I have a gnome-terminal profile configured with a black background.
However, running mutt in it changes the background to gray, a much
lower contrast situation. In all the other terminals I have tried
(xterm, rxvt, urxvt), black stays black in mutt. (This
background-goes-gray also happens with midnight commander, if anyone
besides me is still running it!)

I'm not married to gnome-terminal and certainly don't see it as a hill
on which I will choose to die, but I really like the tabbed windows
setup. Are there any other terms out there that provide that feature?

TIA of course for any light that can be shed on this.

All best,

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

http://trollboy.thruhere.net:8080/MontyPython/fish.htm