Re: could not open default font 'fixed'

> Either would suggest to me a lost/corrupt file...

Your careful (quite impressive, actually) reply encouraged me to
inspect my collection of font files. I noticed a discrepancy between:

/etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias

and

/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/fonts.alias

...in that the former contained the much-sought-after 'fixed' alias,
whereas the latter did not. It contained only references to the
terminus font, which I had <gulp> recently installed. I rummaged
around in my kludge toolbox and overwrote the latter nfg alias file
with the former, and the vnc server started up like a charm.
(/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc is, unless I am sadly mistaken again, in
tightvncserver's fontpath.

I suppose I will learn in time what I have broken by virtue of this
subterfuge. I am convinced that installing the terminus font caused
the havoc. I am sure there are handy debian tools for tidying up such
messes. I ran 'update-fonts-alias misc' as suggested in the
moved-out-of-the-way alias file (i.e. the one full of terminus
references and little else), and that didn't improve things as far as
the mention of a "fixed" font was concerned, hence the last gasp
resort  kludgery.

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

http://trollboy.thruhere.net:8080/MontyPython/fish.htm