Re: could not open default font 'fixed'

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:07:21PM -0400, Eric d'Halibut wrote:
> The subject line is a failure message from tightvncserver, running on
> squeeze. For a reason unknown to me this package began to fail to
> launch two days ago, AFTER LITERALLY YEARS OF UNINTERRUPTED,
> completely hiccup-free, performance!

Presumably (this being UNINTERRUPTED performance), you've not done any
updates recently? So that would imply that either the font is no longer
there, or the method tightvncserver uses to find it is broken.

Either would suggest to me a lost/corrupt file - check your backups.

> Time spent on google reveals that this is not an uncommon error
> message for this particular vnc server. All the fixes posted online
> urge me to state in the server startup script what the fontpath is.
>
> I have never needed to do this, but I *don't know* what my fontpath
> is! Nor how to properly state it in the suggested startup script.
>
> Finally, like everyone else I suppose, I have many fixed width fonts
> on this machine. How would a fontpath indicate a "default font fixed".

I might be wrong here, but tightvncserver recommends xfonts-base, in
which there is a file (/etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias) which
defines "fixed" as
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1".

Try running "xlsfonts" and/or "fc-list" to see which fonts you have
available.